You Should Know This About Your Car Bumper Valance & Filler
What Is Front Bumper Valance & Filler?
The airflow under the vehicle is one of the primary concerns for aerodynamic specialists and to maintain this attached airflow underneath the car is the job of the bumper valance which is also referred to as a front splitter, bumper trim skid plate and bumper cover. In some cars it is used more as a protective underlay to the front bumper, especially in off-roading vehicles.
The front bumper filler is a trim piece that helps fill up unwanted openings between the bumper and other panels.
Where Is Front Bumper Valance & Filler located?
Right at the front bumper bottom of the vehicle in case of the valance and the filler may be in between the bumper and the other body work or panel like the bumper grille.
Types of Front Bumper Valance & Filler
These are the various types of Bumper Valance:
- Protective Valance - These valances are used as a protective accessory.
- Aerodynamic Valance - Used as aerodynamic enhancement. Also known as Front splitter and feature an improved look.
These Valances in turn have a sub category consisting of two types:
- Complete - It features a panel that stretches the entire length of the front bumper.
- Partial - It consists of panel that do not cover the entire length of the bumper, and may only have partial pieces.
The Filler panel are very subjective to the type of gap they are used to fill but mostly are full length pieces that cover the entire open space in between.
Important Features Of Front Bumper Valance & Filler
Some Valance are for aerodynamic improvements to the vehicle and also offer a distinctive appearance that in most vehicles is a selling point. They help improve the airflow under the vehicle and are also used as a structural part of the bumper in some cars. They take constant road abuse and hence must be made of durable materials like steel or aluminum as the valance is also a protective accessory, it gives your vehicle protection from dirt, dust, debris, mud splashes, and other damage-causing elements that you might encounter on the road. If you often use your ride for off-road applications, then this accessory is ideal for you.
The Filler is useful for filling up gaps between the bumper and other body panels like the grille.
Frequent Problems With Front Bumper Valance & Filler
The frequent problems associated to the Bumper Valance and Filler are mentioned here:
- The valance takes constant road abuse as they are shot with rocks, debris, dirt and dust and hence are prone to breakage over time, especially in off roading vehicles where the valance may break due to direct impact of the bumper on the ground.
- Valance panels positioned low to the ground can easily become damaged from driving over speed bumps, angled driveways, potholes, and a host of other road irregularities. And even if you don't have a low-hanging valance panel, it can still become dented or cracked by rock hits, parking lot stops, and assorted other mishaps.
- The filler on the other hand, break when the bumper is hit causing the filler piece to break underneath.
Symptoms Of Bad Front Bumper Valance & Filler
The devils in the details and this is certainly true for the valance and filler since these parts are situated on the outside of the vehicle, they can be easily spotted in case of any damage it may have and give a very unsightly appearance. The knocked-up valance may produce screeching sounds when it drags along the ground. The filler can be visibly broken or rusted and a replacement bumper filler would greatly enhance the vehicle’s appearance.
Tools Needed For Front Bumper Valance & Filler
Working on your own vehicle brings a lot of joy so grab these tools and start working on yours.
Top Brands For Front Bumper Valance & Filler
Most of the people have a nature to avoid risk and seek safety. That is the reason why they would go with a familiar auto parts brand than a new one. It would prove to be safe and they know what to expect. Have a look at our top brands for Front Bumper Valance & Filler.
Related Parts For Front Bumper Valance & Filler
Knowing all associated parts can be useful for the perfect restoration job to make your car looking new. So, make a list of all the other parts that you may require:
Total Costs & Repair Times, Effort For Front Bumper Valance & Filler
The valance takes a lot of road abuse and therefore can break or get dented, ditched or scratched up pretty hard so a replacement is always a better option than getting a lousy repair job done. Premium quality valance is recommended as they need to be durable and light for attaining the best performance while also giving structural rigidity. An average valance repair job may cost around 200 -350$ but a self-repair will only incur the replacement parts costs. Same goes for the filler and other trim pieces.
How To Change Front Bumper Valance & Filler?
To change the Bumper Valance, follow these steps:
- To begin, slide under your car using a car creeper and locate the plastic clips connecting your valance to your vehicle. These are usually located at the back side of the bumper.
- After locating them, use a flathead screwdriver to pry out the clips off of your bumper. Once the clips are removed, carefully take out the valance from the bumper by pulling it down.
- After cleaning your bumper, get your replacement valance and position it beneath your bumper. Once you are satisfied with its placement, push it onto your bumper.
- To secure its connection, slide back under your car and prepare your screwdriver and pliers to install the plastic clips that come with the new valance.
To change the filler, follow along these steps:
- Use the ratchet and log extension to loosen the hidden nut, which is located at the inner fender area. Loosen this nut, but there's no need to completely remove it.
- Now, remove the clip holding the bracket and the end of the rubber extension.
- Then remove the two hidden bolts found under the front bumper. Use your wrench for this.
- Remove another bolt in this location. Now that the bracket is loose, you'll be able to slide the bumper filler off.
- Similarly install the new Filler and tighten all bolts properly.
The small details are what makes the final product worthwhile and after following along this guide you are sure to make your car's appearance a step closer to perfection.